RE: Hip Height (was: RE: New Tyrannosaurus paper)

Okay, this depends on what you want the term "hip height" used for.  If it
is a maximum estimate of the pendulum-like swing of the body, then the top
of the ilium is above the pivot point (the hip socket).  If you are simply
stating "the animal is this high at the hips", then you should include the
ilium, but you would have to subtract some factor from each of the leg
segements, as all the joints are flexed to some degree.

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/eltsite