RE: New Tyrannosaurus paper

Steve Brusatte (dinoland@lycos.com) wrote:

<A good comparison, therefore, would be the French ceratosaur (is it still
classified as a "ceratosaur"?) _Genusaurus,_ which has whopping cnemial
crests.  IIRC, there is enough material known of _Genusaurus_ to complete
a Hutchinsonesque study.  I would be interested to see what the estimated
speeds of _Genusaurus_ (with its huge cnemial crests) were, and how they
compared to _Tyrannosaurus_.>

  *Genusaurus* hindlimb and hip material is known from an incomplete
pelvis (we would need the rest of the pubis and ischium to determine some
of the effects of the femoral adductors) including ilium, proximal pubis,
and acetabular portion of ischium, femur, and proximal half (?) of the
tibia and fibula. The distal fibula and tibia possess insertions
neccessary for tibial extension and metatarsus flexion and extension, and
it would be neccessary to have the remainder of the hindlimb, including
pes, to properly calculate anything. Otherwise, it's an assumption based
on interpretation of a model. As Tom said, it just won't work.

=====
Jaime A. Headden