Re: Overlooked angiosperm reference

Stephen Pickering (StephanPickering@cs.com) cited:

<Richard Anthony Lupia, 1997. Palynological record of the Cretaceous
angiosperm radiation: diversity, abundance, and morphological patterns.
Ph. dissertation, University of Chicago, 1-625 [in 3 volumes].>

  Not to discount de Friis in any way, his work is still informative,
productive, and scientific.

  However, Lupia is currently publishing his thesis in parts and several
papers in _Paleobiology_ and other journals attest to what is to come on
angiosperm phylogeny and radiation experiments.

  A note of caution on another example of a Cretaceous angiosperm:
*Archaefructus* is not represented by a flower itself. To state that there
were berries, or even fruits, in the earliest Cretaceous of China is an
extension of a theory on *Archaefructus* that has not been proven. Though
Ren Dong has been working on the insects of the Jehol Group, and
specifically the Yixian and Chaomidianzi Formations, his flies are not
true pollinators, and cannot attest to the prescence of flowers either,
and this means ... no fruits yet known in the earliest Cretaceous.
Furthermore, no animals I have looked at which partake of berries actually
possess adaptations for _eating_ them, so finding a fructivore on this
measure will be virtually impossible as far as the fossil evidence is concerned.

=====
Jaime A. Headden