Re: Antarctic Elasmosaur

Mike wrote:

>I see all sorts of reasons that all marine reptiles must have had some
>sort of thermo-regulation..... even if water temperatures averaged 80
>degrees F., this is quite a ways below most reptiles required / desired
>body temperature to be active... Marine reptiles didn't have the luxury
>of laying out in the sun to warm their body temps.... they were in the
>water all the time.. and presumedly losing body heat 24 hours per day...
>swimming more or less constantly generates a considerable amount of body
>heat....some sharks, tuna, other game fishes, and some marine turtles
>(all cold-blooded animals, right?) have mechanisms to conserve body heat
>around the vital organs, esp. the brain and eyes in some fishes.

Like you say, they generate by moving a considerable amount of body heat,
but it doesn't mean they were also warmblooded like Larry stated. But also
what you are saying is that they have had to swim 24 hours a day times 365
days in a year, is sure a lot of hours the animal had to swim and would have
to stay active. Look at present day animals, after a long time of intensive
movement, they are tired and have to rest again. So I don't think it is
unreasonable to think that at least the Plesiosaurs, who are the least
specialized forms of water-reptiles, would have been able to come to shore
to take their rest after for example feeding.

Rutger Jansma