Re: Many, many thoughts & responses re: the Hutchinson-Garcia paper

Thinking about my first question:
<have the potential prey animals for T. rex been checked with the same sort
of models?  If it turns out they could escape consistently, that might have
implications.>
you observed:
<A healthy _Tyrannosaurus_ would have to be very stupid (or very hungry, and
therefore desperate) to target a fully-grown 6-8 tonne _Edmontosaurus_ in
peak condition.  Sure, I'd bet money that _Tyrannosaurus_ would be most
likely to prevail in a head-to-head contest.  But any serious injury could
be lethal to a predator that has to be mobile in order to catch it's next
victim.  It would not be worth the risk.>

What's intrigued me about Tyrannosaurs was the basis for a quote I gave
awhile ago:  that it was an amazingly light animal for its size.  You have
the world's greatest bruiser, but light internal support.
So I came to the tentative conclusion that it had to be some kind of
oversize version of something small and quick.  I much enjoyed reading from
a post by HP Holtz:
<As it stands the phylogenetic and traditional data suggest:
  * that it was the descendant of smaller, specialized runner
  * that it very well might have been a faster mover than other large bodied
dinosaurs>
and he added another assertion about TR's potential in the modern world.
(Yes, I know TR is most often used as an abbreviation for Theodore
Roosevelt, but consider the resemblance in the teeth.)
If it was a slower mover than the other large bodied dinosaurs, I wasn't
sure where my idea was going to go.  The logic was based on the minimal
evidence I knew.
That was also the basis for my second question, about what would happen if
you lowered (or raised) the mass estimate in the equations.  I think of TR
as muscular and svelte, but with a very expansive stomach.
Just so I can include another assertion, I think TR didn't catch much of
anything most of the time, but filled up when s/he did.  Then became
sluggish.
Hoping the combination of light structure and running only when the stomach
was empty assures the speed estimate gets above the mark set by the
potential prey.  Otherwise, it would have to feed more often on smaller prey
(and the mass estimate when moving around goes up) or scavenge more.
As far as being injured is concerned, I'd read that Sue sustained a lot of
damage at one time or another.  The ability of TR to be injured and recover
is speculation, but it seems reasonable to assume they were hardy.
How far off do you think I am?