Re: Antarctic Elasmosaur

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Everhart <mike@oceansofkansas.com>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Date: Friday, March 01, 2002 12:52 AM
Subject: Re: Antarctic Elasmosaur

>Larry Febo wrote:
>
>> One wonders then, (well,...I wonder then), if a case couldn`t
>> be made for elasmosaurs being somewhat warm-blooded to be
>> living in a Polar region?
>
>The 'Polar' oceans of the Cretaceous were much warmer than today (there
>were no ice caps in either the Artic or Antarctic), so I don't think
>it's necessary to make a case for 'warm-blooded' plesiosaurs on that
>account... they probably did have some 'reptilian' mechanism for
>maintaining their body temperature, but it's a bit difficult to envision
>what that was.  From the increased number of plesiosaur remains found in
>deposits laid down in cooler waters, it seems apparent that they
>preferred lower temperatures.

I`ve heard before that the Mezozoic was much warmer than today. On the other
hand I`ve also heard it said that climate varied as much as it does in
Modern times.There were, at times, cooler climes... in the Cretaceous
especially. If I remember correctly from one of my Geology classes, (and
it`s been a long time), wasn`t there evidence of a Cretaceous ice age found
in the Sahara desert region? If that was the case... then I would suspect
there were also quite cold polar regions at least during some part of the
Cretaceous.