Inertiasaurus rex

       After reading half of yesterday's posts at the archives today (since
they were relegated to AOHELL Limbo for me and others), I stumbled into the
living room where my lovely spouse was eating lunch while watching
television. The program playing was "When Dinosaurs Roamed North America". I
walked in during the Hell Creek sequence with Tyrannosaurus chasing
Edmontosaurus (or Anatotitan). After the discussions here during the last day
or so regarding the new paper this stuff was absolutely hilarious. The
dinosaurs were running at warp speed. They should have had cartoon dust
clouds or jet contrails behind them. Closeups of their heads had blurred
landscapes flying by them, for crying out loud. It came very close to
watching a Roadrunner cartoon (RIP, Chuck).
       All this made me appreciate all the more the work of Phil Tippett and
Randy Dutra and company on the original "Jurassic Park" and before that
"Prehistoric Beast" which became the CBS program "Dinosaur!" with Christopher
Reeve. They understood the mass of the creature. The "roadside attack"
sequence in "Jurassic Park" clearly shows that the tyrannosaur's head weighs
as much as a refrigerator. The sequence of the Tyrannosaur biting the
vehicle's tire is most extraordinary of all, I think (I wish it would have
been a Triceratops corpse). In light of the Hutchinson/Garcia paper I'm sure
you'll find the Tyrannosaur's walk in front of the headlights in JP very
authentic. Those folks deserve a pat on the back. That was almost 10 years
ago?! DV