Re : New Tyrannosaurus paper

As someone else pointed out, it seems *almost* TOO slow.

Okay, I'm about as smart as a brick when it comes to
physics and/or paleontology ...
But here's my thoughts :

First, I don't think we have any kind of idea how "thick" or
"powefull" theropod muscle really was. We may have some muscle
impression on bones, but only the ones in contact with the
bones, and thus a very small percentage and argueably not from
the species here (?).

Second, as far as I know, theropod iliums are truly exagerated
when compaired to actuall animals. Only the smallest land
animals have such exagerated iliums (e.g Felis domesticus,
at least). The also state that poor runners have less than
5% of their mass in leg muscles and 10%+ equals good runners.
Truth is, that is according to OUR standards, modern standards.

Was a 20-30% of mass even possible, say common 65 million
years ago ? Nobody really knowns.

Their study seems fair, but it's kind of "estimates based on
estimates". I think it's pretty much widely accepted that a
Rex would not have an aerial phase ... But from what I hear,
the stride of a T-Rex is estimated at 26-30 feet, so no need
to "run" (e.g suspention phase) when you have such a huge
stride.

I'd also want some opinons ... I mean, I'd need an explaina-
tion of how Elephants, animals that have shorter legs, worst
F/TMTIII ratios, get heavier, are much bulkier, do NOT
achieve a suspention phase and can still charge at 25 miles
per hour. In my eyes, T-Rex seems better suited for moving
than an elephant.

- Thomas Miller

Boîte aux lettres - Caramail - http://www.caramail.com