Re: New Nature paper on Tyrannosaur Locomotion

MariusRomanus@aol.com wrote:

> Face it... Bumble bees would not have been able to fly if we had not
> seen them do so.

This was the example I was also thinking about. No amount of theoretical
mathematics can fully account for the intricacies of biological
structures or systems (try predicting the weather more than a few days
in advance - even with a super computer).

> After reading the paper, (I'll send it to anyone who doesn't want to
> wait for their issue to arrive at the house) as far as I can tell,
> this study left out the elasticity of cartilage and tendons...
> It's like a pogo stick effect. They tighten the
> tendons and sort of bounce. It's more of a falling forwards and just
> holding themselves from falling over. Bounce.... bounce......
> bounce....

This is even more extreme in kangaroos than many other animals. I wonder
whether a similar study into the musculature and skeletal structure of
'roos would predict their phenominal feats of leaping or stamina.

> Poor math is always there to help
> people prove that an animal cannot do what it does 24 hours a day.

Not so much poor math: I'm sure the math's envolved in the tyrannosaur
paper were pretty good. It's the limitations of mathematics in their
ability to fully describe natural systems that is at fault. Nothing
beats first-hand experiments with actual specimens.

GIS Archaeologist           http://www.geocities.com/dannsdinosaurs