Speed Calc Question

The current conversation surrounding the Hutchinson and Garcia paper
has left me wondering what information is available regarding the
various aspects of terrestrial locomotion other than top speed.
Presumably, most (if not all) of the papers regarding the modelling
running speeds, including the Hutchinson and Garcia paper, are only
interested in top sustained speed.  I am not anything remotely
resembling an expert on biomechanics, so I thought I might ask those
of you out there who are:

What information/models are available to examine things like
accleration, turning, etc.?

Thanks in advance,
--Mike Habib
habib@virginia.edu