General Biomechanics and Therizinosaur hips

Posted for Martin Baeker.  Note new email address.

Mary

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 10:01:24 +0100 (MET)
From: Martin Baeker <martin@turtle.ifw.ing.tu-bs.de>

I am looking for books on biomechanics to better understand discussions like
the recent one on T rex running. Is there anything available where details on
the relation between dinosaur muscles and bones are discussed? I know the books
by Alexander and McGowan, but I am looking for something going more into the
details.

As an example, whenever I look at the hip of a therzinosaur(e.g.
http://dinosauricon.com/images/therizinosaurid-ma.html),
it has two very peculiar features: The pubis points backwards and joins with
the ischium, which in itself is
not unusual, but the two are somehow connected by a bridge (however you say
that in latin) and there is this more or less rectangular hole between them.

And at the front of the illium there is this downward pointing (is that
ventrally directed?) process, so that on the whole the illium looks as if
someone with a narrow snout has bitten of a chunk.

Obviously, these fetaures are good for classifying - but probably evolution did
not want to accomodate plaeontologists by preoducing them. So what are they
good for?

There are a few similar questions I am wondering about, so if anyone can point
me to some books etc. where I can start to understand these things, it would
really make my day.

Martin.

                   Dr. Martin Baeker
                   Institut fuer Werkstoffe