Re: Sauropods vs. Gravity - Jim

James Cunningham wrote:
"The g force at the surface is inversely proportional to the square of
the radius.  So, a smaller planet with the same mass will have a greater
surface gravity by the square of the ratio of the two radii.  This is
also why planets nearer the sun move faster in their orbits than planets
further out."

I'm curious, though -- why do we weigh so much less on the moon or Mars? I understand that mass is not the same as size, but are planets like Venus and Mercury more "massive" than the Earth (you said they move faster in their orbits)? Than the moon and Mars?

A curious sauropod researcher,

Matt

Matthew F. Bonnan, Ph.D.
Department of Biological Sciences