Acrocanthosaurus locomotion

    While we're on the subject of Acrocanthosaurus locomotion, I notice that
in THE DINOSAURS OF DINOSAUR VALLEY STATE PARK, SOMERVELLE COUNTY, TEXAS,
ISBN 0-9636765-0-4 (a for-general-consumption booklet prepared by list
member James O. Farlow, Ph.D., for publication in 1993 by the Texas Parks
and Wildlife Department, Austin, Texas), the author says, "While one cannot
say with certainty which meat-eater made the footprints of the Paluxy River
valley, a likely candidate is Acrocanthosaurus, an allosaur whose skeletal
remains are known from Early Cretaceous sites in Oklahoma and Texas."

    If that very reasonably cautious attribution is correct, the Paluxy
River valley theropod trackways might be a good place to attempt to evaluate
and contrast Acrocanthosaurus speed(s) as calculated using more traditional
methods as applied to trackways, with those recently calculated for T. rex
without using trackway evidence.  Of course, it wouldn't prove anything, but
a comparison might be interesting for the two animals whose sizes are
reasonably constrained.  The largest theropod trackway there in Texas
certainly provides a pretty good indicator of overall size and approximate
weight of the trackmaker.

    I know some attempts at a speed calculation for the large Texas theropod
trackmaker(s) have been attempted, but I'd just like to see some further
work done in context and light of John Hutchinson's work, contrasting the
traditionally derived approximate speeds based on trackways with those
limits derived for Acrocanthosaurus using Hutchinson's methods.  I'm not
personally able to handle the mathematics, but would enjoy hearing of
results someone else might get and care to share.

    Ray Stanford