Re: Sauropods vs. Gravity

dinoguy@sympatico.ca writes:

> Gravitation is the force of attraction between two bodies, such asthe Earth
> and our body. The strength of this attraction depends onthe mass of the two
> bodies and the distance between them.

Correct.  More precisely, it depends on the mass of the two bodies and the
distance between their *centers of gravity*.  For a planet, the center of
gravity is more or less at the center of the planet.  Thus, for a given mass,
a greater volume (hence a greater distance between the planet's surface and
its center of gravity) means less gravitational attraction between the planet
and an object located on its surface.

But this is somewhat off-topic, so I'll shut up now...

--Nick P.