Re: (arthritic) Sauropods vs. Gravity - all

In a message dated 3/4/02 11:44:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
pcambridge@explorer.org writes:

> Let me get this straight, now. It apparently doesn't matter so much the
size
> of a planet as what its surface gravity is? No, wait. I'm all confused now.
> guess what I am trying to understand is why aren't there now sauropod-size
> animals around now?

Personally, I like the idea that a placental mammal the size of a sauropod
could never reproduce, because the young would never fit through its mother's
birth canal, due to scaling effects between adult and infant placental
mammals.  Unfortunately, I don't have a ref handy--I'm pretty sure it was
something I read on-list.

--Nick P.