RE: Acrocanthosaurus (& Albertosaurus) locomotion

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> dexter dexter
>
> Well ... The closest _A.atokensis_ we have if we compair
> Femur lenght is NCSM 14345 which, along with the _T.rex_ MOR
> 555, has a femur of about 1280 mm. The legs of the
> Acrocanthosaurus are about 0.90 the lenght of MOR 555's
> legs, but the overall animal is MUCH lighter. Anderson's
> method gives 2.4 tonnes to NCSM 14345 and 4.16 tonnes to MOR
> 555. Vollumetric estimates will gives something along 3 for
> the Allosaurid and 6 for the Tyrannosaurid.

Actually, I don't know of any serious modern attempt to do a volumetric
calculation of the size of NCSM.  Since other studies (Dodson & a student
whose name I can't recall) show that femur length tends to approximate
volumetrically-calculated mass far more closely than other limb dimensions,
the first order approximation would be that two non-avian theropods of the
same FL had the same mass.

> On a side note, however, IF the 12.1 m/sec-1 (43.5 km/h or
> 27 mph) trackway really belongs to the Acrocanthosaurus
> (With a 5.65 m stride), that would indicate a pace of 2.15
> strides per second, so my take is that it way obviously
> having an aerial phase ...

As Jim Farlow has (just) noted, the highest speeds from that site were not
from a full grown _Acrocanthosaurus_; they were from either a young _Acro._
or somebody else.  I suspect that a young leggy _T. rex_ would likely yield
similar if not greater speeds.

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> no go
>
> >If you ask me, Allosaurus would beat the living crap out of
> >all those three in a race. Acrocanthosaurus would be tied
> >with _Allosaurus_, T.Rex would come a conciderable margin
> >behind and Both _G.carolinii_ & _C.saharicus_ would end up a
> >few steps behind ...
>
> If we threw *Albertosaurus* into the mix, I'll bet your twenty
> it'll win by
> a considerable margin.

I'm with you there!!

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.