Re: (arthritic) Sauropods vs. Gravity - all

In a message dated 3/5/02 12:04:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,
TiJaWi@agron.iastate.edu writes:

> >Personally, I like the idea that a placental mammal the size of a
>  >sauropod could never reproduce, because the young would never fit >through
>  its mother's birth canal, due to scaling effects between adult >and infant
>  placental mammals.
>
>  I would guess whales are the exception to this.

Sorry.  I screwed that up.  I was referring to the paper mentioned by HP
Holtz earlier today, hypothesizing that the long *gestation times* of such
large mammals would hinder their establishing sustainable populations.  My
bad.

--Nick P.