Re: CNN report on the feathered dino

At 12:43 PM -0800 3/6/02, Desmond Maxwell wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/science/03/06/feathered.dinosaur/index.html

I particularly enjoyed the esteemed Professor Ruben's measured, insightful, well thought-out, relevant, trenchant comments.

Larry Martin made the same points to me. I couldn't work his comments about the curious placement of an anomalously long feather on the leg into my article, but it isn't where you would expect one. On the other hand, it seems to be the best-preserved feather and a natural one for Norell et al to concentrate on. Larry had only seen a photograph, and not had a chance to examine the original specimen, so his caution on fakes was justifiable after Archaeoraptor. It sounds like Norell has a definitive answer to that, if he has the part and counterpart and if the fossil is intact rather than piece together. A CAT scan would be icing on the cake.
--
Jeff Hecht science & technology writer
525 Auburn St. Auburndale, MA 02466 USA