Archaeopteryx, always a bird. (was RE:)

> just saw the reuters news item on feathers in a non-avian dinosaur. Does
> this mean that the original archeopteryx specimen could be from a
> dinosaur
> rather than a bird?

Actually, under modern systems of classification _Archaeopteryx_ is both a
bird and a dinosaur, just as a "flying fox" is both a bat and a mammal.

I don't think Archaeopteryx can ever be non-avian as Aves is defined as Archaeopteryx + Neornithes, unless you follow Gauthier.

Nicholas Gardner
n_gardner637@hotmail.com