Re: Sex-changing Chickens QUESTIONS and :)

    John Conway said, "My father has (or had) three female chickens.
Recently, one of them
seems to have been turning into a rooster. Having examined the specimen
personally I can verify that this does indeed look to be the case. It
has grown spurs, and it's comb is getting larger. My question is, can some
birds change sex?"

    First, what age was the chicken when it seemed to have 'changed sex'?

    Second, has the 'hen' ever laid eggs.  Is it currently laying eggs?

    Does this chicken mount the 'certified' hens?

    Third, by what method (if not by egg laying) were the three chickens'
sexes 'determined', earlier?

    Fourth, did that chicken recently return from a vacation in Denmark?*
:)))

    Ray Stanford

    * For you 'youngsters' on the list, Denmark became known for pioneering
in sex-change surgery.