Re: Combined answer Archaeopteryx running...

Williams, Tim wrote:

> ........................the vastly improved flight
> capabilities of the Pygostylia allowed them to diversify, occupying niches
> closed off to the more _Archaeopteryx_-like birds.  _Archaeopteryx_ and
> _Rahonavis_ were certainly specialized IMHO; but their body plan limited the
> ecological options available to them.

Are you sure that the pygostylian body plan didn't limit them from some of the
ecological niches available to the Archaeopteryx and Rahonavis body plans?  I'm
not saying that it did, only that the possibility might be there, and should be
considered.  My real point in all this is that it doesn't pay to arbitrarily
close off which options and possibilities should be considered.

Jim