RE: Predator/Prey

Paul, et al:

The ecosystem is in a constant state of flux - with or without predators.
If the climate changes,  or other things occur, i.e. earthquakes, volcanism,
fire, floods, invasion from other ecosystems by new competition (predator OR
prey) - then the equilibrium is destroyed, however temporarily that may be.
The best we can hope for is that the current state of equilibrium is mostly
maintained.  Take away the wolf (in the Yellowstone example below), and the
equilibrium is upset, probably for some time to come.  Eventually, a NEW
equilibrium is found, waiting for the next change to upset it.

The wolf does serve an important role in KEEPING THE CURRENT STATE OF
ECOSYSTEM EQUILIBRIUM.  It is PART of that ecosystem.  Note that there are
other places where a similar ecosystem exists, but without wolves.
(Usually, humans serve as the top predator/competitor).

The apparent harmony in the 'balance of nature' is only as WE see it AT THIS
TIME!  Some people believe that the American Indian (aka Native American,
aka Amerindian) lived in a balanced way with all of nature.  However, these
people managed to help some extremely large creatures to become extinct.
Mammoth, Giant Sloths, Dire Wolves, and the American Lion to name a few.
The level of technology that the ancient inhabitants had, was just enough to
kill off these animals, but not many others.  They functioned the same way
that the wolf does today - i.e. as part of a mostly balanced ecosystem.
(The arrival of the "White" man, with new technologies, as well as massive
numbers of people, upset the balance that the Amerindians lived in).

Today, we upset the equilibrium VERY frequently.  And we notice it!  (Which
means, I feel, that we should try to slow the changes down, or somehow
mitigate them).

Allan Edels