Re: Neck flexibility in large theropods

From: "Christopher Srnka" <theclaw10@charter.net>
To: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Subject: Neck flexibility in large theropods
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 23:47:58 -0600

(Just in case the message didn't go through the first time; I sent it and then realized I wasn't signed onto the mailing list...)

I was thinking about the much-maligned dinosaurs of the Jurassic Park
series, and I was wondering about the degree to which theropods would really
be able to twist their heads around; in particular, I am thinking of the
scenes like the first appearance of the Spinosaurus in JP3 where the animal
twists its neck around to grab a running human, its jaws opening on a plane
almost parallel to the ground. How much flexibility could be reasonably
depicted in large theropods?

The Spinosaurus in Jurassic Park is messed up enough and far removed from the real animal as we know it already, what's another mistake?