Re: DML and Megapnosaurus in USA Today

From: "Thomas R. Holtz, Jr." <tholtz@geol.umd.edu>
> Here's the online reference:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/healthscience/science/dinos/2002-03-11-big-lizard.htm

Quoting the paper:
<<Entomologist Michael Ivie of Montana State University in Bozeman, one of the scientists who noted that a beetle found in 1869 already had the name Syntarsus, sent a January corrective notice to the insect journal Insecta Mundi.<<

And why not to the Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology?

<<For Raath's part, "A lot of paleontologists strongly disapprove of what Dr. Ivie and his colleagues have done," he says. "I am myself very disappointed that the normal dictates of professional courtesy, let alone professional ethics, have apparently been disregarded." He says he had learned of the double name recently from a graduate student and had been mulling over a new name for the dinosaur, his life's work, when he heard of the Insecta Mundi report.<<

That's this fact I really dislike in this affair, and that's why I'll wait for the definitive decision of the ICZN before using the new name. LJB.