[no subject]

Quoting henry mendoza <hxmendoza@yahoo.com>:

> Hi Dr. Holtz
>
> Thought:
>
> No one has ever made mention of a feature on
> Daspletosaurs teeth which I believe may be diagnostic.
>
> A few years back I purchased a Cast of a
> Daspletosaurus tooth from the Museum of the Rockies. I
> immediately noticed how far down to the base the
> anterior serration line goes down, about 4/5 too the
> level of the end of the posterior serrations.
>
> Since then I have noticed this same feature on all the
> supposed Dapletosaurus teeth and tooth cast that i hve
> looked at. T. rex and albertosaur/gorgosaur teeth
> predominantly have serations that either go down
> half-way to the base or 2/3 the way down in relation
> to the posterior serration. In a close up, face on pic
> i saw of the type Daspletosaurus mount's skull I can
> clearly see this same trait!
>
> Yet I have never seen thisissue discussed anywhere!
>
> Comments?
>
> Henry Mendoza

This IS an interesting feature to be sure.  Too bad it isn't restrictred
to tyrannosaurids....

-J

----
Josh Smith
University of Pennsylvania
240 South 33rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6316
smithjb@sas.upenn.edu
Project Director, Bahariya Dinosaur Project (http://www.egyptdinos.org)

NOTE: Currently in residence at:
Department of Anthropology
Harvard University
Please address all correspondence and mailings to:
18 Traymore Street
Cambridge, MA 02140
NEW OFFICE PHONE 617.495.1966