Re: (Now cats vs. "raptors")

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002 Tthecoolguy@aol.com wrote:

> Ostriches are known for their very hard kicks, and have been known (or so
> I've read) to break a lions jaw with one and another incident involving an
> ostrich ripping a lion's guts open with it's relatively blunt toe claws.  I
> can't prove these as I forgot where I even read them.  But if  the ostriches
> had toe claws......

On the other hand, ostriches are easily driven off nests by even
smaller-than-lions blackbacked jackals--this is done at night when jackals
can see and O's can't.  Also, ostriches are known to avoid treed areas it
is thought because they provide stalking cover for lions.  Lion predation
on ostriches is very rare.