RE: a little background

  I'd like to think that the large, recurved claw on the toe of the
cassowary would serve very well as an analogy, in the case of the use in
attacking an opponent, attacker, etc., though not in any manner of
predation. I see no reason why the large toe claws of deinonychosaurs must
be equipped to take on such larger prey as to validate any *Deinonychus* +
*Tenontosaurus* association. In this manner, the morphology of the toe
claw is important. In the largest taxon, *Utahraptor*, the ventral edge is
developed into a sharp crest; in smaller taxa, this is more rounded, and
suggests that the claw (which is also more hooked) may have functioned
more as a piton, or grappling hook. Lack of animals to grapple for
*Velociraptor* suggests it may have locked predator to prey much as claws
of felids do during grapping attacks. This does not require the prey to be
so much larger than the predator and does not then serve any objective
evidence for dromies feeding on larger prey.

=====
Jaime A. Headden