From: Jaime A. Headden [mailto:qilongia@yahoo.com]\par
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2002 3:36 AM\par
To: dinosaur@usc.edu\par
Cc: Mickey_Mortimer111@msn.com\par
Subject: Re: Megalosaurus = Torvosaurus in Europe\par
\par
Mickey Mortimer (Mickey_Mortimer111@msn.com) wrote:\par
\par
<The latter is more similar to Eustreptospondylus (=Magnosaurus?) because\par
it shows- paired hypapophyses;>\par
\par
  Just to clarify, these are called carotid processes by Allain, not\par
hypapophyses, and many other bird researchers (including Kurzanov) use the\par
same terminology; and as I believe the latter term is restricted to the\par
single ventral process as in birds, not as in mammals. Homologies in\par
mammal and bird vertebrae may cause the terms to become problematic:\par
\par
  Mammals have carotid processes, but these are formed from the\par
parapophyses, and this is why the lacuna between cervical rib and centra,\par
provided by the par- and diapophyses are called carotid foramina. This\par
latter is true for birds, as well. Loss of cervical ribs in mammals\par
results in a muscular effect for the parapophyses, and the carotid\par
arteries run parallel to these structures. Hypapophyses lie medial to the\par
parapophyses, and in this the processes of Allain are not carotid processes.\par
\par
=====\par
Jaime A. Headden\par
\par
  Little steps are often the hardest to take.  We are too used to making leaps in the face of adversity, that a simple skip is so hard to do.  We should all learn to walk soft, walk small, see the world around us rather than zoom by it.\par
\par