Re: Ichthyornithidae?

In a message dated 3/12/02 3:14:53 AM Pacific Standard Time, david.marjanovic@gmx.at writes:

<< Does someone know when exactly *Ichthyornis* and its relatives died out? Did
they hold on to the K-T? I can only find a skeletal restoration at
www.oceansofkansas.com. Many thanks in advance. >>

      The latest appearance of Ichthyornis I could find is from the Pembina Member of the Pierre Shale which is roughly equivalent to the Sharon Springs Member in South Dakota. That's a mid-Campanian age, I think. Russell (A Checklist North American Marine Vertebrates, 1988) calls it "early to early late Campanian". But this is a dated source. After this time the seaway begins to recede and the more delicate fossils become rarer and rarer due to higher energy levels in the shallower water. DV