Re: Megalosaurus = Torvosaurus in Europe -- additional data for Mr. Mortimer

Stephan Pickering (StephanPickering@cs.com) wrote:

<Another taxon to be mentioned is Proceratosaurus bradleyi BMNH R4860. In
my analyses (with which Sam Welles agreed), this is not a ceratosaur, not
Megalosauridae, but is the tentative sister taxon to Ornitholestes.>

  uhm, not to be objectionable, but this is old news. 14 years old, in
fact, as the first person to opine on this relationship (and probably the
source of Welles' info) was Greg Paul's 1988 paper in _Hunteria_ and in
_Predatory Dinosaurs of the World_ (1988) only a few months later. No one
has thought of *Proceratosaurus* as a ceratosaur since (especially in _The
Dinosauria_) and many following analyses have included it and it has
fallen out most universally as a basal coelurosaur. In fact, Holtz has
analyzed the tree and finds either *Gasosaurus* or *Proceratosaurus* as
coelurosaurs; the skull has similarities to some specimens of
*Sinosauropteryx*, btw.

  My drawing of the skull (from the original paper and some photos, with
soime insight drawn from Paul's illustration in _PDW_) can be found at:

  http://qilong.gq.nu/Proceratosaurus_bradleyi_skull.jpg

  Any nasal crest in *Ornitholestes* may be an illusion, and I have no
idea who may have thought it up first, but a few years ago on the list I
opined the possibility of *Proceratosaurus* close to *Monolophosaurus*
(but not based on the form of the nasal crest).

  *Ornitholestes* varies differently in tending to be a basal maniraptoran
or more basal, and Sereno has put this taxon closer to the base of
Coelurosauria with *Deltadromeus* (but not as sister groups).

=====
Jaime A. Headden