Tyrannosaur Habitat Paradox -- New in CJES

McIver, E.E. 2002. The paleoenvironment of *Tyrannosaurus rex* from
southwestern Saskatchewan, Canada. _Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences
--Revue canadienne des scieces de la Terre_ 39(2): 207-221.

Abstract:

"The recovery of identifiable plant remains intimately associated with a
skeleton of *Tyrannosaurus rex* in southwestern Saskatchewan, Canada,
provides the basis for interpreting the latest Maastrichtian (65.5?65 Ma)
paleoenvironment of the region. Fossil plants from the site are described,
and fruits formerly known as *Aesculus antiquus* Dawson or *Ficus
ceratops* Knowlton are transferred to a new taxon, *Spinifructus antiquus*
(Dawson) comb. nov. Study of the sediments of the Frenchman Formation that
host the bones and plants, in combination with analysis of the plants,
indicates that the regional climate was mesothermal and without winter
frost, but with seasonal drought. The *T. rex* is believed to have roamed
a broad river valley abundantly vegetated by a largely deciduous flora.
The deciduous nature of the Saskatchewan paleovegetation, interpreted as a
response to low winter light levels at high latitude, contrasts strongly
with the contemporaneous vegetation of a few degrees latitude further
south and leads to questions about how a dinosaur fauna survived in a
region where the bulk of the vegetation entered an extended period of
dormancy."

  Interesting paradox.

  No, I do not have access to this paper, sorry. [Heh, if any one does, or
the Varricchio paper from the last issue (first this year) I would
sincerely like to know.]

=====
Jaime A. Headden