From: "Tracy L. Ford" <dino.hunter@cox.net>
To: <david.marjanovic@gmx.at>
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2002 9:19 PM
Subject: RE: Spinosaur neck flexibility

> > Given that theropods for the most part couldn't chew (excepting
> > therizinosaurs, if they're still considered theropods),
>
> Just now, more than ever, therizinosaurs are considered theropods... and
> incapable of more chewing than, say, a sauropodomorph. :-) The rest of
your
> post sounds plausible to me.

This may be confusing to some people, the chewing part that is. Dinosaurs
couldn't masticate like cows, their jaws don't move from side to side. They
do move up and down, so I suppose you could call that chewing (or smashing
and cutting in hadrosaurs and just cutting in ceratopians). Theropods rip
and shread.
He [HP Dann Pigdon]'s right on theropods. The lower jaw with its teeth fit
into the upper jaw and do not naturally occlude (the dentary teeth fit
inside the premaxilla and maxilla with the premaxillary and maxillary teeth
passing over the outside of the dentary). The teeth with wear facets are an
anomaly (though pretty common).

Tracy L. Ford
P. O. Box 1171
Poway Ca  92074