Re: Sulfate 'n soot kills dinos!

> Can anyone tell me how this works--
>
> Is there lots of acid rain (frog-killing acid rain)?

Yes. Or so it looks. Some shocked quartz grains are etched, there is this
unconformity in many places, and stuff in the boundary layer in the oceans
was washed there from the continents... IIRC. I don't have Night Comes to
the Cretaceous handy.
        Rain that washes sulfuric acid (the salts of which are sulfates, but
these won't form in the air from sulfur dioxide --> trioxide) aerosols out
of the air is definitely acidic.

> Do all forests start burning, even wet tropical forests?

When a hypercane, caused by the temporary hole in the atmosphere, has just
dried them... why not? :-)

> What is the length of time sulfate remains aloft compared to dust?

Don't have literature handy; it's certainly known from volcanoes.

> Is this modeled anywhere?

Probably.

> Does rain take it out of the atmosphere?

Yes. I don't know how long that takes, but there's certainly literature on
this.

> Would you expect a global signature

definitely

> --is there one?

Don't have literature handy.

> Does this fit the extinction pattern as-well-as, or better-than, the dust?

This is far from an either-or situation. The impact scenario includes
everything an impact can produce: first the dark icehouse (dust + soot +
sulfate aerosols + nitric dioxide), then the greenhouse (carbon dioxide);
acid rain; aluminum, beryllium etc. (all poisonous) dissolved and washed
into water; necessary trace minerals likewise washed away from the
continents; disappearance of the ozone layer because of the nitric oxides;
worldwide forest fires; the impact itself, being an earthquake that scales
12.4 on the Richter scale (over 100 times as strong as any the Earth can
produce); the plasma http://www.dinosauria.com/jdp/impact/impact.htm; and
what else I might have forgotten. :-)