Re: Sulfate 'n soot kills dinos!

> [...] the ozone layer can be reduced to 10% of its
> normal amount (most likely via ionization).  [...]
>
> After the actual impact into the surface (land & water), then the soot and
> dust, etc. would also deplete the ozone layer even further.

This in addition to the nitric oxides which, or so I've read, would have
sufficed alone to destroy the ozone layer completely? Wow. :-o

> Besides that, the increased UV radiation, and other radiation (X-ray,
Cosmic
> Rays, Solar Flares, etc.),

Why other radiation? If the Earth's magnetic field didn't break down (and I
know of no evidence or ideas why it should have), the cosmic stuff should
have been largely kept out just as now. That doesn't apply to X-rays, but
without some major event in a nearby star, why should there have been more
X-rays than usually?

> the surviving creatures would most likely have
> increased mutation rates.  This would certainly enable rapid evolutionary
> changes.

Interesting idea.

> One signature from this event (specifically the soot) would be the
presence
> of "Bucky Balls" (in certain fossils).

Why in fossils and not just in the well-known soot? -- AFAIK buckyballs and
nano-diamonds are known from the K-T boundary layer, but I might have
jumbled that with another boundary layer.