From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
Waylon Rowley
Sent: Sunday, March 17, 2002 7:01 PM
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: RE: Sickle Claws (was "a little background")

Tim Williams wrote:

> I think you've pin-pointed *exactly* what
> _Microraptor_ and the ancestors of birds used their
> sickle-claws for: pouncing from trees onto
> small prey below.

    It's easy to imagine flight evolving from
pouncing/parachuting behavior. Obviously some of these
keen lil mammals would see the predator coming and
make a run for it. Evolution would favor those animals
capable of controlling their descent with more
accuracy and prolonging "air time". That might explain
the increased EQ in some very bird-like maniraptors as
well as a more sophisticated auditory apparatus (e.g.
Troodontids). Anyway, I'm getting off topic here.....

Cheers,
Waylon Rowley