Re: Giraffatitin brancai Vs Brachiosaurus brancai Vs Brachiosaurus altithorax

In a message dated 3/17/02 7:43:04 PM Pacific Standard Time,
MariusRomanus@aol.com writes:

<< Also...... I'm guessing that _Giraffatitan brancai_ is the guy mounted in
 Berlin since it used to be _B. brancai_..... Is this guy also mounted
outside
 the Chicago Field Museum????  And, is that _Brachiosaurus altithorax_
mounted
 at O'Hare Airport, or is that just _Giraffatitin brancai_ again??? Which is
 the largest mount? >>

As I recall, the Chicago mount is a chimera-cast: they used what there was of
Riggs's specimen and filled it in with casts from the Humboldt Museum
Giraffatitan mount. All "Brachiosaurus" mounts are chimeras, for that matter,
since the Brachiosaurus material from Tendaguru was disassociated bones from
several individuals, and when the Humboldt skeleton was mounted the bones
were matched for size from the set they had available.

We have dorsal vertebrae from both the American Brachiosaurus and the African
Giraffatitan, and they are different. You might want to take a look at the
drawings of the dorsal sequences in Greg's paper on Giraffatitan.