Re: Isle of Wight oviraptor

Ken Kinman (kinman@hotmail.com) wrote:

<I assume that article is discussing Thecocoelurus.>

  Yes. Talk to Darren Naish, the main author ... the paper goes into more
detail.

<I'm just wondering why Thecocoelurus couldn't just as easily be viewed as
a segnosaurian, rather than a large oviraptorosaur.>

  Why either? The taxon is preliminarily referred to the segnosaur +
oviraptorosaur group, as was a vertebrae from South America was also
referred to. There are most likely stem-taxa of the
segnosaur-oviraptorosaur group, and these taxa are likely representatives
of that group.

=====
Jaime A. Headden