Re: RBrachiosaurus : high nostrils or trunk?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Jo=E3o_Sim=F5es_Lopes_Filho?= <jodan99@uol.com.br> wrote:

"This post reminded me a question: is there any consensus about Brachiosaurids'
high nostrils? Could be a trunk? The old water-living, hippopotamus-like theory
seems to be wrong, doesnt it?"

...well the thing that really bothers me about the "trunk" theory is that it
doesn't seem to take into account the dividing central nasal ridge which
displays that familiar brachiosaur nose arch we all know and love. Elephants
have a very large singular nasal opening for their trunk. The brachios,
all-be-it their openings are large, have TWO openings. Which leads me to
believe that a trunk would not be practical. What would be the point of an
obstuction like the central nasal ridge in the middle of a trunk? Among other
things, trunks are massive airways. I just don't see it happening.

However, I could see something like a graduated duo-nare system of
cartilaginous structure protruding out (to a very short-length) like little
blow holes or something. The reason being possibly to enhance breathing ability
while drinking at the local watering hole. God knows it must have been a
challenge to drink for ol' brach. with his large forelegs and all. I'm not
saying "trunk", but I am saying maybe a few inches of directional apparatus.
Perhaps some MAY call that "two mini-trunks"! Highly speculative, in any case.

I really think the high (and relatively thin) nasal brow causes too many
complications for the trunk theory. All in all, I think the brachios needed an
exagerated nare to deal with breathing while drinking, mostly due to the
condition (position) of their neck. I think the popular theories exclude them
as being aquatic, at their size.

Paul