OVIRAPTORS IN THE NEWS

Just for the record, and concerning recent articles in newspapers etc...

Thus far I have done one interview with a newspaper reporter regarding
_Thecocoelurus_. I made it clear that, while oviraptorosaurs were
'traditionally' interpreted as egg-eaters, the discovery of brooding
specimens has negated part of the evidence for this. None of the
articles I have seen mention this, going instead with the old 'egg stealer'
thing. I also said in the same interview that 'it has been >suggested<'
that oviraptorosaurs ate shellfish, plants, small vertebrates etc - I
certainly did not state that oviraptorosaurs perhaps ate all of these
things. There are other obvious errors in the respective newspaper
pieces - just do keep in mind that they result from sloppy journalism
and not from the information I provided and that quotes are very much
paraphrased.

Finally, it is also unfair that some of the journalists wrote of this new
paper as being produced by 'Dr Dave Martill and his phd student'. I am
first author and did most of the work, something Dave is more than
happy to agree with.

Oh yeah, and _Proceratosaurus_ does appear to have had some sort of
crest on (at least) its premaxilla. I have spent a lot of time with the
specimen.

Darren Naish
University of Portsmouth
Burnaby Building