Re: Velociraptor profiles

It would seem that this argument has been played out in more exalted circles than this. Osmolska (Revue de Paleobiologie, 1993), was the first to argue that they were not fighting; Unwin et. al. (Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology, 1995) refuted this by pointing out that Velociraptor's arm was firmly grasped in the Protoceratops' beak. I can't get hold of the 1996 reference you gave, but it is clear that it has not convinced many theropod experts. Phil Currie, and other authors - make several references to the specimen in "Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs" (1997). All treat it as an example of "fighting" dinosaurs; preserved interaction between two living animals.

This debate is far from dead. Indeed, the original "fighting" interpretation still seems to have the most support. So unless you can show me otherwise, I will still regard the specimen as example of Velociraptor using its toe claws for predation.