Re: Velociraptor profiles and a little background

<Oh, yeah, that was it, not "endocranial" (though it would mean exactly
the same).>

  I'd hate to rain on this, but this is not true. The encephalization
quotient, as previously mentioned by Alan, is the volume of the actual
brain itself. The endocranial volume is the volume of just that, the
cavity that houses the brain. In birds, the ration compares between 5% and
something like 2%. It is important to take in the presence of the fluids
of the cranium, as well as brain volume.

  I personally think that the EQ is the wrong track, but that's me. Larger
volumes are inversely proportional to body mass along the ontogenetic
curve, so what use is this without establishing a relative age, or even a
clear, quantifiable analysis in which intelligence or neuron capability
can be related to brain volume?

<BTW, Feduccia (1996) mentions that "[i]n 1985, William Zinsmeister
identified *Ichthyornis* remains from the late sic] Cretaceous of Seymour
Island, Antarctica." Now people say only Neornithes are known from
Antarctica. Does anyone happen to know if said "remains" have been ignored
or reinterpreted?>

  The Swedish spent over a year down on Seymour and nearby islands at the
turn of the century (result of an accident, they got shipwrecked) and they
uncovered tons of material now housed in Uppsala that has been described
in _Palaeontologia Polonica_ (see the cite for the volumes and contents)
in three volumes, the most recent of which came out last year. These
include mammal, fish, bird, and non-avian reptiles. Great for faunal analysis.

=====
Jaime A. Headden