Re: Fossil sites in New Mexico

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002 11:20:27
 R. Irmis wrote:
>Sorry I'm a bit late in replying to this:
>
><<There are some Triassic rocks located in southeast New Mexico (the
>Moenkopi strata, I believe).  Triassic dinosaurs from this layer include
>_Revueltosaurus_, and some footprints are known.>>
>
>Im not so sure.  There are some Late Triassic outcrops in the Southeastern
>part of the state.  If what you are refering to is the Moenkopi Formation,
>that is Middle Triassic, and no dinosaur material is known from the
>Moenkopi.

Ah, thanks for the information.  Checking out Lucas' book, it appears as if the
San Pedro Arroyo and Santa Rosa Formations outcrop in the southeastern part of
the state (both of which are Carnian).  It looks as if the Moenkopi is
predominately from the central portion of the state.  However, in the text it
mentions that the Moenkopi outcrops in Lincoln County near Carrizozo.  I was in
Lincoln County this summer (some really interesting Billy the Kid sites...),
and Lincoln is most definitely in the southeastern part of the state.

I also see that _Revueltosaurus_ is, as Randall pointed out, not from the
Moenkopi Formation, but rather from the Bull Canyon Formation.

I see that algae, ostracods, and some amphibians are known from the Moenkopi.
Is there much else known?  How thoroughly has the formation been studied and
sampled?

Regards,
Steve

---
Steve Brusatte-DINO LAND PALEONTOLOGY
SITE: http://www.geocities.com/stegob

2,000,000,000 Web Pages--you only need 1. Save time with My Lycos.
http://my.lycos.com