Re: Velociraptor profiles

> On Mon, 18 Mar 2002 john_conway@mac.com wrote:
>
> > This debate is far from dead. Indeed, the original "fighting"
> > interpretation still seems to have the most support. So unless you can
> > show me otherwise, I will still regard the specimen as example of
> > Velociraptor using its toe claws for predation.

There are several ways to check if Velociraptor was fighting with live one
or grasping the dead Protoceratops. Unfortunately, all require access to
primary fossil.

- examintion of fossil surrounding - is it really likely that these
missing Protoceratops bones were destroyed? Gobi fossils are famous of
good preservation, including vertical Protoceratops trying to dig itself
out the sand.

- claw marks on Protoceratops skull and ribs. If Velociraptor claw was
killing weapon, and Velociraptor was fighting it's claws should leave
marks on bone. Less likely, if it was grasping the carcass.

- bone fracture on Velociraptor forearm, which was supposedly bitten by
Protoceratops. P was not a predator, but still should have strong jaws.

- Velociraptor tooth marks commonly found on other Protoceratops fossils.

And this only leaves nasty question: if Velociraptors were skillfull pack
predators, why would one allow itself to be killed by about equal-sized
herbivore? All we would find were disarticulated bones with bite marks.

I suppose that nobody will ever check it, especially as it would spoil the
nice tale to sell for the media (and other paleo-lovers).

Sorry for returning to the dead thread, but I was busy recently and - you
should be accustomed to those which receive killing hit and then bite
back? (JP3 Spinosaur-Trex fight :))).

J.