Re: Velociraptor profiles

> Even if that's not the case, not all Gobi fossils are complete (!).

This *Velociraptor* misses its furcula. At least one much less articulated
specimen preserves it.

> >> - claw marks on Protoceratops skull and ribs. If Velociraptor claw was
> >> killing weapon, and Velociraptor was fighting it's claws should leave
> >> marks on bone. Less likely, if it was grasping the carcass.
>
> Yes this would be good evidence, if we could tell claw marks from tooth
> marks reliably. [...] Also, Velociraptors may have avoided kicking at
areas
> where they might encounter bone.

I think any marks on bones should be more likely to result from scavenging,
when the scavenger tries to get the last meat off the bones, rather than
from killing, when the predator tries to make holes in important soft parts.
How testable is it whether that sickle claw is really sticking right in the
carotid artery, as I've read several times and was recently mentioned
onlist?

> The Velociraptor may have been
> buried alive (its position is very lifelike) in the sandstorm

Rainstorm. Under torrential rain, a dune suddenly collapsed -- more suddenly
than a sandstorm can bury unaware animals, I'd say.
http://www.dinosauria.com/jdp/fossil/sandslide.html

> that, 1)
> prevented its escape, 2) kept the skeletons intact, and 3) drove away
> any other pack members (if they existed). Who said Velociraptor was a
> pack hunter anyway? And since when are predators invincible?

Good points.