Re: Velociraptor profiles

Sorry to post on the some subject twice in a day, but I can't let it stand as it is, I owe this much to old Velociraptor.

On Friday, March 22, 2002, at 05:58  PM, Jerzy Dyczkowski wrote:

There are several ways to check if Velociraptor was fighting with live one
or grasping the dead Protoceratops. Unfortunately, all require access to
primary fossil.

Or more argument.

If the rainstorm theory is correct then the "holding on for dear life" scavenging theory is invalidated: why would it be hanging on like this if it wasn't expecting anything.

Or if the sandstorm theory is right; then, what sort of animal, when faced with a sandstorm, grabs on to a carcass not much bigger than itself and hangs on until it is buried alive? Surely the Velociraptor would have let go, as it would be better to be blown away than be buried in sand.

Why didn't the Velociraptor make any attempt to shield it's eyes/nose/mouth from the sand? It would have been able to position itself if the Protoceratops was dead already. The way it is positioned it's head is very exposed. Why didn't it tuck its head close to the Protoceratops?

I think that best explanation is that it was struggling to get free.

I have tracked down some better photos on the web that give a much better view of the arm/beak situation.

http://www.dino-nakasato.org/en/special97/Fight-e.html

It looks like the elbow, not the wrist, is in the beak. Still, it looks like a bite to me.

PS. It looks as if the top of Proto's head was the bit exposed, oh well.