Re: Velociraptor profiles

<This *Velociraptor* misses its furcula. At least one much less
articulated specimen preserves it.>

  Not really, GI 100/25 most definitely has a furcula.

<I think any marks on bones should be more likely to result from
scavenging, when the scavenger tries to get the last meat off the bones,
rather than from killing, when the predator tries to make holes in
important soft parts. How testable is it whether that sickle claw is
really sticking right in the carotid artery, as I've read several times
and was recently mentioned onlist?>

  The claw is positioned in the neck viscuous area right behind the skull.
Problematically, preservation would cause the limbs to move a little, but
this position does not seem to be severely affected as the entire couplet
of the Fighting Dinosaurs specimens are preserved very tensely, and it is
likely that they were preserved in just a matter of seconds, rather than
minutes, and the work of Loope et al has suggested that the cataclysmic
event was a "sandslide" upset by water destability in the dunes, and not a
sandstorm.

  Searching for "sandslide" in the archives will produce references to
this effect and of Loope et al.

=====
Jaime A. Headden