Re: 45 MYA Redwoods Found Near North Pole

>  We dont have plants that can survive under those conditions today, let
>  alone forests, Jahren says. For a tree to endure four months of daylight
>  is like you or I going without sleep for four months.

Keeping in mind that the "dark reaction" of photosynthesis (the fixation of
carbon) is a total misnomer, as it can only take place when light is
present, I don't understand why constant daylight would harm plants. Does
someone know?

> Warmed by equatorial waters making it that far north? Might shed some
> light on dino remains found at high latitudes.

Today there is:
- a low-pressure zone around the equator: Air warms up and rises, leaving
its water behind (tropical rain). Up there (tropopause) it cools and falls
down in the
- high-pressure zone around 30° latitude, where the big deserts are
(simplifying). When the air reaches the ground, it is sucked toward the
equator and pushed toward the poles, respectively.
- And there is a high-pressure zone at the poles: The ice caps cool the air
which comes down and pushes toward the equator. In the temperate zones, it
meets the air that comes from the subtropical high-pressure zone, pushes it
up, so it rises and loses its water. Therefore it rains much there, too.

What the vertical gene transfer happens when there are no polar ice caps???
Are the poles still cold enough (after all, solar radiation should stay the
same) to have the same effect, though weaker? Does the polar high-pressure
zone cease to exist? In the latter case the air that advances from the
subtropics might -- my speculation -- continue all the way to the poles and
meet & push itself up there, causing temperate, wet conditions at the poles,
unlike the cold and very dry climate that exists there today. Any input is
appreciated.