The origin of flight: from the water up (was: Re: Velociraptor profiles and a little background)

>Living birds commonly have densities around 0.8. Swim like corks. It is
well known, and I've seen it on TV tens of times, that cormorants let their
wings get wet to be heavier. Loons and hesperornithiforms reduce their
>pneumaticity to stay down. I've seen lots of various birds fly underwater
on TV (Discovery Channel productions and such).

How did the hesperornithiforms do that than? Reducing their pneumaticity.

>Not necessarily at the same time as feathers. Anyway, we all produce grease
>that makes our hair hydrophobic if we don't wash it often enough, so that
>gland may just be an exaggeration of a normal feature.

If you project this on birds and water birds to be precise, it would mean
that it is a normal condition. Good point, and than it is much easier to
think that with maniraptors with feathers had the same development, creating
a sort of insulation against water.

>Throw a dog into water. Dogs don't have such a specialized gland. What
>happens?

I forgot one major example of type of animal that doesn't have the gland,
but does swim. It's the mammal that swims the triathlon and the numerous
distances at the Olympics: man. Ah well, it's better to burn out than fade
away... That's Kurt Cobain :) I tried not too, but your theory seems
plausible to me now. Would have been one hell of a view you know...