Re: Velociraptor profiles

<I assume GI 100/25 is the fighting specimen? This has been claimed early
on to preserve a furcula, then it was commonly said that it doesn't
(instead that bone is fused gastralia or something), even though another
(described in Nature in 1997) does; have the interpretations changed
again?>

  Yes, that's the fightin' dino itself. I forget who it was who said the
furcula was actually missing from the specimen, but as I recall, the
material figured by Barsbold in 1981 and 1983 is from GI 100/25, and
satisfies Bryant and Russell's criteria for a furcula, including cresentic
cross-section (described as grooved on the back), expanded and flattened
distal rami, and a "tongue-depressor"-shaped median ventral flange
(hypocleidial process). So I really can't see how this element is not the
furcula. If I'm wrong, fine. I would like to see the reference that
indicates it is either not present, missing, or was never part of the
pectoral girdle, though.

=====
Jaime A. Headden