Sent: Sunday, March 24, 2002 6:01 PM
Subject: Isle of Wight "Oviraptor"

     A cf. Oviraptorosauria for an isolated vertebra, regardless of the name (the taxon named by von Huene is a nomen dubium/vanum [I prefer Sam Welles's adjective]), would be appropriate. My feelings toward von Huene -- despite the claim he made enormous contributions to early paleobiology (his 1900-1932 writings on dinosaurs are uneven, but, in places masterful) -- are coloured by one fact: like Janensch, he remained silent while the slaughter transpired 1933-1945. Even after the Holocaust, both remained silent, thereby rendering irrelevant their "authority" to speak for paleo(bio)ontology.